You've probably guessed by now that I have minimal Rider content to discuss so I'm adding in as much filler as possible to try and pass this off as a regular post. This is were I not so smoothly segue into Random Quasi-Coherent Thoughts (patent pending).
- Pretty quiet on the Rider front since the big Collaros acquisition. The only real notable thing that I have yet to comment on was the retirement of Chris Getzlaf. Obviously he had a huge impact on this franchise. But for me he will always be a mind boggling case study. He was twice a 1000 yard receiver, score 40 career TDs (including 10 in a single season). A very solid resume. The thing is he could have likely added another 30% to his stats if he had consistent hands. Unreal to think of what he accomplished in-spite of the drops that he made. On a more serious note he was a great route runner with a keen ability to get open and I wish him all the best in retirement.
- I expect a few more signings to start filtering in over the coming weeks. With free agency approaching there will be some added pressure to finalize some deals that have been being worked on for a while.
- Hopefully that will include Duron Carter who reportedly turned down a couple NFL offers (that likely did not include much if any signing bonus). Chris Jones was going to meet with him and I'm hopeful they can work out a deal. I find it funny how one of the CFL's more controversial figures has been absolutely embraced by one of the most fickle of fan bases.
- One person not likely to be re-signed is DL Ese Mrabure... or Mr. Abure as I believe he prefers to be called. Not sure with who but Jones said that it looks like Mr Abure will sign down south. Tough to lose a versatile Canadian lineman like him.
- I love that the Als think that the answer to their QB situation is Josh Freeman. He may be a bit younger than Vince Young but I expect the result to be largely the same. The only difference is that the Als are terrible enough that Freeman may see the field.
Brandon Zylstra (Edm) – signs with Minnesota
Elie Bouka (Ssk) – signs with Philadelphia
Shaq Richardson (Cal) – signs with Oakland
Kenny Ladler (Edm) – signs with Washington
Jonathan Mincy (Mtl) – signs with Chicago
CFL Ins and Outs
In: QB Zach Collaros (trade with Hamilton)
Out: QB Kevin Glenn, DB Elie Bouka (released), WR Chris Getzlaf (retired)
In: LS Pierre-Luc Caron (contract extension)
Out: DB Shaq Richardson (signed in NFL)
In: LS Mike Benson (contract extension)
In: DB Aaron Grymes, OL David Beard (contract extension)
Out: WR Brandon Zylstra (signed in NFL)
In: LB Ian Wild (contract extension)
In: QB Jeremiah Masoli, WR Brandon Banks, DB Jonathan Langa (contract extension) Akeem Haynes (free agent signing)
Out: QB Zach Collaros (trade with Saskatchewan)
In: OL Kendall Pace, LB Lamar Louis, LB Avery Williams, WR Richard Mullaney, DL Cliff Matthews (free agent signing)
Out: DB Nick Taylor (released)
In: QB James Franklin (signed), DL Cleyon Laing, WR Llevi Noel, OL DJ Sackey (contract extension)
In: RB Terrell Sutton (contract extension)
Out: DB Jonathan Mincy (signed in NFL)