The 2012 season came to a less than dramatic close last night as the hometown Argos beat up on the Stampeders. In a stunning turn of events it actually seemed liked people in Toronto not only noticed but cared… either that or a lot of people in this country really hate the Stamps. Actually in retrospect that second one seems a lot more likely.
The game actually went pretty much as I expected. For the third consecutive meeting Chris Jones completely eliminated Jon Cornish. The only thing that was surprising about it was that Cornish decided to keep his pants on. On the other end of things, the Stamps obviously spent all week focusing on how to eliminate Chad Owens and completely forgot about Chad Kackert. Or as his friends like to call it, the Kack Attack… though I’m pretty sure they copied that from an adult film series (not that I would know anything about that).
So there you go, the Argos are the top of the league this year… though if you ask Eric Tillman I’m sure he’d tell you that Steven Jyles and a bunch of cap space could have just as effectively handled the Stamps.
Here are a few other random thoughts on the game:
- Glad Calgary spent all that time trying to get their horse into the game, its presence would definitely have made all those TDs a lot more special… oh wait.
- Kevin Glenn should probably have just broken his arm again then at least people could speculate about how good he would be in a Grey Cup
- I can’t believe Adriano Belli actually Khalif Michelled somebody in the biggest game of the year. Though I’m not entirely convinced he wasn’t just sure the Argos would win and wanted to get an early start on celebratory drinking
- Amazingly Justin Bieber wasn’t the worst part of the halftime show… at least his lip-synching was better rehearsed than Mariana’s Trench.
- That said I’m pretty sure the Call Me Maybe chick has bigger arms than Bieber.
- Also I’m pretty sure the Rogers Centre was piping in canned noise (BC Lions style) to cover up the crowd’s obvious unhappiness… well the portion of the crowd that wasn’t under 16 or a male cheerleader.
- Sad fact: Jarious Jackson now has as many Grey Cup rings as Anthony Calvillo, Ricky and get this…. The Saskatchewan Roughrider franchise.
And thus ends the 2012 CFL season but stick with me through the offeason as there will be posts and tweets to get through the long months ahead. Next up on tap is the Rider Prophet Awards, be sure to get your vote in for Douche Bag of the Year.