This move makes me very happy for a couple reasons. The first is, I think Bagg is a hell of a football player. He can contribute in many ways: he can play wide receiver, he can move in to the slot (I think he's an underrated slot receiver), he made a living last year running the sweep (from I play calling stand point, I wholeheartedly disagreed with the timing of most of those sweeps but he made them work). He's a versatile Canadian that you can confidently fill a starter spot with. The second reason is that seeing Rob Bagg succeed just warms your heart. Undrafted yet has bested most of the crappy receivers drafted ahead of him. Missed the '07 cup because he turned down a roster spot to return to school. Then came the knee injuries. I'll admit I damned near cried when he was taken off the field in tears in '13 with everyone thinking it was the end. Bagg works his butt off, overcomes an endless parade of obstacles and is a heart and soul guy that we will need now more than ever given that he'll be surrounded by essentially a new team.
Bagg may want to invest in some platform shoes or a stool or something as everyone else Jones signed last week was at least 6'2. Chris Jones cares not for the motion of the ocean; for him the size of the boat is what matters. In an unrelated matter, Chris Jones may be looking to replace yours truly with a prophet who wields a bigger staff.
CFL Free Agent Frenzy kicks off next Tuesday. Expect the Riders to be very active... I mean we didn't clear out essentially all our cap space just because we are thrifty. Shawn Lemon created a stir on twitter by implying that Ted Laurent (the mostly heavily coveted free agent in the CFL) wants to come here. At this point I think its about 50/50 as to whether Lemon was dabbling in tampering or just talking with no real knowledge of things. Fact is every team in the CFL wants Laurent so $$$ will be king (something we happen to have a lot of).
Here are a few other random thoughts on Free Agency (I'll have more in the days leading up to Feb 9):
- I firmly believe the Riders will sign a Cdn DT in free agency. It will be one of Ted Laurent, Cleyon Laing or Keith Shologan (listed in order of preference)
- Former Chris Jones guys to keep an eye on as potential Riders include Otha Foster, Rennie Curran, Jermaine Gabriel and Aaron (I will call him Frank) Grymes.
- BE nice to shore up our O-line but its an extremely thin market there. We will not be targeting Josh Bourke so that leaves Jeff Keeping as the only real option hitting the market. There is a connection there with some of our coaching staff so I see this an unlikely but not out of the question.
- Some rumours have Jeff Fuller on our radar. He's both tall and a John Murphy find so file that under definitely possible.
- I would like to see us take a chance on Mike Edem. After bursting onto the scene in 2013 as a east all-star in his rookie year, Edem's career has fizzled out. I think Chris Jones could be the guy to revive this promising Canadian's career.
- The signing of Rob Bagg really makes me wonder about Getzlaf's future. We already have Demski and Bagg with Carroll, Haidara and Reaves for depth. I imagine we'd take him back but the contract offer won't be very high. Maybe Getz is just holding out hoping Brendan Taman gets another job so he can milk him for another ludicrous deal.
CFL Ins and Outs
In: WR Rob Bagg (contract extension), QB BJ Coleman, OL Quinterrius Eatmon, WR Shay Hodge, WR Jordan Reaves, DB Marte Sears, DB Robert Sands (free agent signing)
Out: OL Dean Valli (retired)
In: FB Mike Miller, DL Matthieu Boulay (contract extension)
In: WR Weston Dressler (free agent signing), DL Louie Richardson (contract extension)
In: RB Stefan Logan (contract extension)
Out: QB Dan LeFevour (released)