So I had planned on doing this for a while. A post where I speculate on the possible landing spot for some prominent free agents and players liekly to be on the trading block. I had planned to open with speculation on the landing spots for Maurice Price and Fred Stamps... so my procrastination as cost me the opening of this post. That's not a great start to a week. Let's see what else I can cobble together.
- Given the state of our LBs and the desperate need for a MLB, you have to think Rene Curran is on Taman's radar. Not sure if we will be able to land him but I bet we at least put in some calls. Another guy to watch is Marcellus Bowman. He's a talented player but is continually hurt. Not sure he's worth the risk but maybe we can get him cheap.
- A team I'm watching in terms of potential trades is Hamilton... specifically at Canadian DT. They are overflowing. They already have Ted Laurent, Linden Gaydosh, Hasan Hazime (who i think is an underrated DL). Add to that Brian Bulke who will be returning from injury and in theory 2014 draft pick Evan Gill. Can't see them keeping all of them. Given his age and price tag Bulcke would be the most likely to be moved. Outside shot its Gaydosh if the Ticats don't think they will be able to extend him before he hits free agency at the end of this season. I could see BC showing interest (though not in Bulke given his age). Toronto is another possibility.
- Curious that Edmonton has not yet re-signed Odell Willis. There is talk he is exploring NFL opportunities... which likely means Odell has been back into whatever substances led to his arrest for DUI while he was a Rider because at this point in his career there won't be an NFL shot. Maybe Hervey will just wait until 30 seconds after free agency opens to announce the re-signing for old time sake.
- I have been wracking my brain trying to think of where Kevin Glenn will end up. I'm hoping for Edmonton or Montreal purely so his bid to hit for the CFL team cycle stays alive. Realistically I'm thinking Montreal, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan are the most likely candidates,
- It looked pretty unlikely that SJ Green was going to re-sign in Montreal and the trade for Fred Stamps means that Jim Popp feels the same way. Before the Stamps deal, they were looking at the very real possibility of losing both Green and Carter and being left with the imposing Srompton to Brandon London connection... which hardly strikes fear.
- The trade does make me wonder is Edmonton plans to go after a WR in free agency. They have no established #2 receiver (Stafford has potential but is far from a sure thing). Also, no way Adarius Bowman repeats the statistical year he had in 2014. He will still be good but not 1400 yards good.
If you’re Montreal you have to be worried about your pass game next season. I wonder if Hervey goes after a FA WR like Earnest Jackson, Greg Ellingson or Bakari Grant.
Shawn Lemon - Signed with Pittsburgh Steelers
Delvin Breaux - workouts with pretty much every team in the NFL. Here's the list so far: Jac, Den, TB, Ari, SD, SF, Det, NE, Sea, Pit, Hou, Min, Cle, Mia, Atl, NE, Phi, NYJ, NE. I hope he collects frequent flyer miles.
CFL Ins and Outs
Out: DL Shawn Lemon (signed with Pittsburgh)
Talk about turning a career around and taking advantage of the right opportunity. After being a bust in Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Edmonton, Lemon suddenly lights it up in Calgary and turns it into an NFL contract. For a trip down depressing memory lane here are some of the other quality DL's that played in 2011 as well: Remond Willis, Shomari Williams and Montez Murphy.
In: WR Kenny Stafford (trade with Mtl)
Out:WR Fred Stamps (trade with Mtl)
In: LB Shamari Benton, DB Jarrid Bryant, DB Sam Miller (free agent signing)
In: WR Fred Stamps (trade with Edm)
Out: WR Kenny Stafford (trade with Edm)