Sunday marked the end of the CFL as the Grey Cup was handed out... to the damn Stamps. I was just happy the game was exciting enough to hold my attention. Part way through the 1st half I was convinced that after the halftime show I would be switching to the NFL game but fortunately the Ti-Cats decided to mount a comeback and make it for an interesting second half and a dramatic finish. In no particualr order other than when the pop into my head, here are my thoughts on the game:
- Poor Hamilton fans. Embarrassed last year, heart broken this year. As someone whose sports team has inflicted a lot of pain on my heart over the years, I suggest numbing the pain with alcohol, a lot of it. I also suggest not driving or going to work while you take this prescription.
- Much like in '09, a last minute gaffe (which was defintely a penalty) will overshadow all the other ways that the rest of the team pissed that game away. Taylor Reed didn't let a FG kick get blocked. Reed wasn't responsible for a non-existant run game, Reed didn't fail to score from inside the 5 yard line, Reed didn't allow a sack on a 3 man rush with the game on the line. So yes he screwed up but the other 43 players are just a responsible for that loss.
- I get that after a massive return Brandon Banks likely needed to catch his breath. But with the championship on the line and under a minute left in the game how was he not out there? After one play off, Banks needs to suck it up princess and get on the field. To not have your most dangerous weapon on the field for the finals plays of the game is inexcusable.
- Bo Levi Mitchell is pretty freaking good! Scary to think that he's only 24 and in his first year as a starter.
- Dave Dickenson also deserves a ton of credit for a great game plan. Hamilton's big strength on D is their run D and Dickenson made it a non factor by attacking them through the air and using Cornish as a big decoy.
- The more I watch Brandon Stewart play, the more I think SJ Green was right about him.
- Stamps will have some decisions to make at receiver this offseason. They have McDaniel, Price, West, Fuller, Cunningham and now Rogers. Something as gotta give. A lot of speculation that the something will be Maurice Price. Makes sense as he would be the highest paid and has the durability of Buck Pierce.
- Bar none the highlight of the game was Hickman absolutely destroying Rob Maver and using Maver's battered corpse to knock out another Calgary cover guy. Holy crap!
- I wonder how much the League read the teams the riot act about not screwing up the individual player introductions? PS - Congrats to Rico Murray on not falling down this time.
- In Rider news, George Cortez in done as our OC and there are rumours that Richie Hall, Barron Miles and Bob Dyce may join him... I'll have more on that later in the week. Spoiler alert: I'm not as elated at the Cortez move as the rest of the world.
Thus ends another season of CFL action. Stick with me throughout the offseason as I will keep you up to date with all the goings on. For example, there are only 4 days left to vote for the Fans' Choice Douchebag of the Year. Chris Jones is in the lead but thanks to the strength of write-in votes, 2 time winner Jon Cornish is in contention for a 3-peat. Cast your vote today.
Post a Comment